If you own or manage a multi-level commercial building, you know the importance of providing reliable elevator service. As you ride the cars, you undoubtedly watch and listen for hints of mechanical issues, cab cleanliness, and ride quality. There is another factor, however, that affects the elevator experience for everyone who gets into the lift, etiquette. Good elevator etiquette by you and all other riders helps ensure safety and satisfaction for everyone.
Simple Guidelines for Elevator Behavior
- Think of others and follow the Golden Rule. Say please if you have a request and thank anyone who makes room for you or assists you.
- Wait for others to get off before you get on. Step to the right of the elevator to give exiting passengers plenty of room, especially anyone carrying large items.
- Be careful if you are boarding with large boxes, bags, or luggage. Politely excuse yourself and avoid bumping anyone with your load.
- Go to the back corners of the elevator to make it easy for others to get on. If you are getting off at the next floor, even just moving to the side to provide space is considerate.
- Don’t force conversation on anyone. Smile, nod, or give a brief greeting, but respect the privacy and silence of others. Do respond politely if others talk to you.
- Push the floor buttons for everyone if you are stationed in front of the panel. Ask riders which floor they need as they enter.
- Be willing to wait. Obviously, you shouldn’t try to squeeze into a crowded elevator cab as it can compromise the safety and convenience of others.
Set a Great Example
As the building owner or manager, you can do a lot to encourage good elevator etiquette. If you notice someone whose rude behavior is causing problems, try to talk with them privately, unless it is an immediate safety issue. You can also post polite reminders above the call buttons or inside the elevator car.
If you have questions about the performance of your elevator system, contact the maintenance professionals at Action Elevator today. We will be happy to discuss steps to keep your elevators in top running condition. Call 410-774-4573 or email us today!