As the owner of a commercial building with an elevator, it’s your responsibility to ensure it complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. This sets forth certain requirements that elevator owners must adhere to. All public accommodations are required to abide by the ADA requirements including restaurants, rental locations, recreational buildings, shopping malls, and other public buildings. If modifications are readily achievable, they’re expected to be made.
List of Provisions
To be sure you comply with the ADA, you should review the following provisions they have set forth regarding elevators. If your elevator doesn’t align with one or more of the provisions, you should speak with an elevator contractor to get it remedied.
- Electronic operation – Your elevator needs to operate electronically, meaning the doors have to open, close, and reopen on their own. The stop and reopen feature must always work so passengers can safely get in and out on their own time.
- Call button measurement – The call buttons in your elevator should be above floor level at 42 inches. They should also have visual signals.
- Emergency button access – The emergency control buttons should be easily accessible around the central area of the other controls.
- Visible and audible signals – The signals outside the elevator in the hall should be both audible and visible. There should be signals at each elevator so it’s clear which elevator is doing what.
- Floor area – The floor area within the elevator should allow enough space that an individual could get in, turn around, reach buttons, and exit without incident.
- Elevator entry time – Your elevator doors have to be open for a minimum of three seconds. As was previously mentioned, the stop and reopen feature should be electronic so if that three seconds isn’t long enough, it doesn’t take any physical contact to keep the door open longer.
Contact an Elevator Contractor
To keep your elevators ADA compliant partner with the professionals at Action Elevator. Call 410-774-4573 or email us today to get started!